Job Description – Arts Instructors:
All Disciplines including Drawing and Painting, Animation, Ceramics, Music, Dance, Theater, Storytelling, Printmaking, Bookmaking, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign), Puppetry, Photography, etc.Are you interested in a career as an Arts Instructor teaching students of all ages at a local nonprofit? This is an opening for a driven individual who wishes to make a difference in North Orange County arts and culture. Candidate’s primary responsibility would be in preparing lessons and teaching arts classes in the beautiful working environment of the Muckenthaler Cultural Center as well as at off-site locations in the region. The Muckenthaler is located on 8.5 acres of perfectly landscaped parklands on a hill overlooking Fullerton.
In a typical year, our Arts Education team instructs at 25 different sites in 10 different cities throughout the state of California, serving over 29,000 people!
Work Schedule – Part-time, with the possibility to turn into a Full-time Lead Artist position for the right person. Schedule to be determined, and is based on a minimum of 10 student registrations per class. If the minimum number of student registrations is not met, the class will be cancelled. The teacher will be paid only if a class meets the minimum number of student registrations, and if the class runs. Many classes are contracted and are not dependent on registration. Classes may be held both on- and off-site.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Prepare and teach VAPA and Common Core Standards-based lessons in a specific medium for students of all ages: children to adults.
• Prepare and teach STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) programs. Training will be provided as necessary for STEAM programs.
• Discuss and demonstrate various artistic techniques of a specified medium.
• 4 years minimum experience in teaching arts to children and adults
• Familiarity with the VAPA and Common Core Standards for education • Experience working with at-risk and underserved youth
• Work well with public and staff – have a commitment to diversity and proven ability to work effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds.
• Be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
• Have a current California Drivers license, valid auto insurance • Be able to effectively manage multiple complex functions and achieve goals and objectives
• Be able to work independently, under pressure and handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Have strong verbal and written communication skills in English
• Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes
• Positive attitude, flexibility and problem solving mentality.
• Must have the ability to recruit and retain students in your program.
• Bilingual Korean or Spanish a plus
• Job Offer is contingent on passing a background check.
$25-50 per hour, DOE
Please email your resume and cover letter and direct all questions to:
Janette Pyun, Chief Operations Officer
Muckenthaler Cultural Center
Disclaimer – This list of job elements, responsibilities, duties, requirements, or conditions is not exhaustive, but is merely the most accurate list of the current job; and management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, or technical development).