Reporting to the Operations Manager and working closely with the Production and Operations Team, Operations Assistants perform a variety of building facility and event-related operational tasks. Operations Assistants are responsible for theater operations and facility assignments during Center events and performances. The position works closely with the Front of House Usher and Guest Services teams to operate the theater, supporting daily operations and general show activities. The position also works to support Stage Door operations, acting as security receptionist for talent and artist arrivals, student ensemble entry, and general public walk-up inquiries. Additionally, Operations Assistants support loading dock use and deliveries, provides general building and staff support during lobby uses, reception set-up and teardown, resetting artist lounge furniture for artist meet and greets. The position acts as the primary responsible party for cleanup/repair calls during an event, as well as, being available to assist with Theater Operations and Front of House needs, as necessary.
The Musco Center produces a variety of programming and has a diverse group of users – the successful candidate will navigate the season with impeccable, client-oriented service; a safety-first approach to operations; and a desire to foster a collaborative, respectful work environment.
This is a part-time position. Successful candidates will be added to a scheduling pool of 2-3 employees and will be scheduled from 16-32 hours a week, with an annual max of 900 hours.
- Act as the primary staff point of contact and respondent to building operational and facility issues on a regular basis providing continuity and consistency regarding building operations, systems and repairs.
- Act as the primary staff contact for basic operational support of show and events coordinating with the usher and guest services team to mobilize crew and planning
- Student worker scheduling for Stage Door desk operations during evening & weekend rehearsals and performances
Ensure facility building systems are in working order promptly submitting Facility Work Requests, Custodial clean-up requests, etc. for repairs or response
- Access and utilize the Center’s event management software- Artifax for daily show information and print daily/weekly activity reports
- Monitor and report/follow-up building alarm system including ensuring re-set of all affected systems once building is all clear, in the event of the alarm system activation
- Execute facility operations related projects as assigned
- Actively monitor and maintain Safety, ADA access, and Fire Code adherence throughout facility by conducting operational checklists and facility walkthroughs
- Supports and respond to requests for loading dock using checking lists or contacting related departments within Musco Center and COPA to coordinate/verify delivery plans
- Special event lobby setup and teardown: tables, chairs, accent lights, and other special event needs for lobby receptions, tour merchandise, etc.
- Provide assistance for VIP event setups and teardowns throughout Musco Center including prep/reset of Artist Lounge
Stage Door Operations Support
- Provide a first level public facing and administrative support at the Stage Door for staff, students, faculty, vendors, patrons, and visitors
Respond to internal and external requests for information about the Musco Center or university policies, providing excellent customer service in a timely manner
- Answer telephones, prioritize calls, take detailed messages, refer callers to appropriate Musco Center offices, and answer Musco Center general inquiries
Oversee deliveries and general usage of the loading dock area
Perform other duties or projects as directed and required
- Proven ability to carry out duties in a timely manner
- Experience carrying out duties when faced with interruptions, distractions and a fluctuating workload
- Familiarity with safe practices when working in a theater
- High level of organization and ability to follow and carry out instructions
- Computer skills to use word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, provide in-depth internet research, and electronic mail preferably of Microsoft Office applications
- Technical aptitude to learn and work within Artifax event management software (WT)
- Flexible and adaptable to frequent changes in workload, assignment, and details
- Demonstrate strong written communication skills to prepare clear, concise, and grammatically correct business correspondence and operational emails and reports
- Experience using standard office equipment such as copier, printer, scanner
- Strong oral communication skills to convey accurate information in a tactful and diplomatic manner
- Excellent telephone etiquette skills and the ability to direct calls, give information, and take accurate and detailed messages
- Strong written communication skills to prepare clear, concise, and grammatically correct business correspondence, including solid editing and proofreading skills
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to foster effective relationships and work with a diverse group of individuals from within and outside the University community
- Ability to work independently, secure information/data, and make recommendations based upon the information/data gathered
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to formulate and communicate logical conclusions and recommendations
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Strong commitment to teamwork
- A minimum of related experience in order to provide administrative support to professional staff
- Working knowledge of University policies and procedures that pertain to the duties of this position
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and/or experience related to the duties and responsibilities specified
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants for Staff and Administrator positions must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Chapman University does not sponsor applicants for Staff and Administrator positions for work visas.
The offer of employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion and outcomes of a criminal background screening, and returning to the Office of Human Resources a signed original acceptance of the Chapman University Agreement to Arbitrate.
- Required Documents: Resume
- Optional Documents: Cover Letter
Candidates may complete an online application at https://chapman.peopleadmin.com (Job number 20170684), e-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax resume to (714)-997-6901. For additional information about the university, department, or position, visit www.chapman.edu or muscocenter.org