Where: 34183 Pacific Coast Highway, Dana Point, CA 92629
What: Mural to be on the street façade of the building, adjacent to the entry door: Approximately 15ft tall x 11ft wide
How much? Project will be pro bono, with materials and travel expenses being reimbursed.
Who: Experienced and emerging artists willing to travel to Dana Point.
Application Deadline: February 14th, 2020
How to apply: Please send all required application material outlined in RFP via email to Vanessa Garzon at firstname.lastname@example.org
The location is a historical site, originally constructed in 1929 as the telephone office for Sidney H. Woodruff’s Dana Point development. The unique street façade still retains many of the original features including the decorative grilles above the entry porch. The Dana Point Chamber of Commerce will hold this space as their primary offices as well as hold meetings where notable Dana Point City Council Members will be in attendance. Raintree Partners and the Chamber of Commerce takes great interest in the mural that will be created on the building wall. The building is situated in Dana Point’s Lantern District just off Golden Lantern and Pacific Coast Highway. Dana Point is well known for its harbor, beaches, surf and growing downtown area.
While there is not a specific theme for this commission, the mural should be interesting and engaging. Creating something that is culturally relevant to the City of Dana Point should be considered. Since the building is visible from Pacific Coast Highway, creating a mural that is eye catching will be of great interest to the owner. The design will need to be suitable and acceptable for public viewing of all ages and will need to be reviewed and accepted by the Chamber of Commerce.
● The project will be commissioned on a pro bono basis. Material, travel expenses, prep and power washing will be reimbursed to the artist.
● Artist shall provide adequate insurance or will be expected to sign appropriate waivers to gain access to the property. A maintenance budget will be allocated for the upkeep of the mural outside of this scope.
● While a protective coating is not required, specifications to accommodate such a scope for the mural should be a part of the artist responsibilities. The mural is near the beach and should withstand moist and humid weather.
Site and Mural information:
● Approximate Dimensions: 15ft tall x 11ft wide.
● The mural will be painted vertical.
● The paintable space will start approx. 3’ from the ground and will continue up to 15ft.
● The material of the façade is beige stucco.
How to Apply & Application Requirements
● All required application materials as outlined in the RFP must be in digital form and sent via one email, if possible.
● To apply send digital conceptual artwork in a zip. File no larger than 15MB sent via email to: email@example.com
● Upon announcement of the finalists, higher resolution images may be requested.
● Submittal materials will not be returned, and incomplete applications will not be considered.
● Full application completed must be submitted no later than Friday, 2/14/2020.
● This project is open to all adult artists 18 years of age and older residing in Dana Point or willing to travel to Dana Point for mural project.
● All entries must be original designs of the entrant artist or team. The mural design will be done by the one selected artist or artistic team to ensure visual consistency across the work.
1. Contact Information
2. Mural Project Proposal including:
a. Sketch design illustrating the proposed concept in color and shall be scaled to fit the building. The rendering may be hand drawn or computer generated. Also include information such as art medium and approximate dimensions.
b. Proposed project budget allocating all costs for supplies (including installation equipment), travel-related expenses, and other associated costs.
c. Proposed completion timeline including dates for preparation and painting.
i. Note: The artist will not have to apply anti-graffiti material to the mural.
d. Artist Statement. A statement (300 words max) that describes:
i. Why the artist is interested in the project;
ii. Previous experience working on public art projects
iii. How the art will transform the area
3. Biography and/or resume. Artists should submit a resume or background materials for each team member. Artists with limited previous mural experience are also encouraged to apply.
4. Sample work portfolio. Provide supporting materials, including up to 4 images and descriptions of previously completed murals. Examples should include size, materials, cost, and location of works, if available. References for earlier projects are encouraged. Files should be uploaded as PDF or JPG.
Artist Selection Criteria & Process
The selection process will consist of review and approval by Raintree Partners and the Chamber of Commerce. When making the selection for the tower, the following will be considered:
● Artistic originality: creativity and uniqueness of proposed artwork.
● Relevant work: Demonstrates work experience with similar projects.
● Attention to context: architectural, historical, geographical, and cultural;
● Distinctive Artwork: Proven ability to create site specific artwork as exhibited by past work.
● Quality and craftsmanship: Exhibited by past work and proposed material.
● Maintainability: structural and surface soundness, durability and resistance to vandalism, weathering, excessive maintenance/ repair costs.
● Appropriateness for placement on a commercial building
● Feasibility: artist’s proven track record/ability to complete the work on time and within the budget.
● To what extent the art brings excitement to the community and sparks conversation about the described thematic features.
Site visits may be coordinated by contacting Vanessa Garzon at Raintree Partners: firstname.lastname@example.org
The selected artist or all members of the selected artistic team must sign a Raintree Partners liability release and a contract before beginning the project. Artist or the artistic team must show proof of general commercial liability insurance and provide Raintree Partners with a certificate identifying the Dana Point Parks and Arts Foundation, its Officers, Volunteers, and Agents as Certificate Holders before the artist begins work on the mural. The artist or the artistic team will receive a payment for reimbursable expenses upon submittal of receipts and/or proof of purchase upon completion and approval of the mural.
January 2020 Chamber of Commerce Mural RFP Distributed to Artists
February 14, 2020 Deadline for submission of artist proposals
March 13, 2020 Finalists contacted for scheduling presentation to owner
March 31, 2020 Final approval of mural concept from selected artist
April 1, 2020 Artist contract executed, and installation schedule finalized
Early to Mid-April Mural install to begin