Call to Artists
Edison Substation Mural Panels
City of Fullerton Public Art Program
The City of Fullerton invites artists, art educators, and design professionals to submit proposals for a public art piece located at the Edison Electric Company Substation, Walnut Dr., Fullerton, south of the Fullerton Transportation Center. The project consists of five shallow recessed panels measuring 143” x 46” each, facing an automobile and pedestrian corridor connecting the major thoroughfares of Lemon Street and Harbor Blvd which will be displayed for approximately 4 years. The goals of this public art project are as follows:
• Beautifying a widely used public corridor on the Fullerton Transportation Center
• Involving Fullerton School District Middle School students in design and execution
• Adding to Fullerton’s rich collection of Public Art
This request for proposals is open to any professional artist who can demonstrate the ability to supervise students in the design and production of a high quality work in a timely manner. Because of the physical dimensions and framing of the panels, two dimensional work only will be considered. Artists awarded the project must be available to work with the students at the Fullerton Museum location 1-3 days a week for 4-5 weeks during late February through March. Actual dates to be determined.
The City of Fullerton has committed adequate funding based on a review of similar scale projects in Southern California. Proposals shall include a total fee to complete the projects, including all materials, installation, and labor, as well as other related miscellaneous costs.
Interested artists may send the following materials:
• Letter of interest: Please state your interest in and qualifications for the project and a brief statement of your philosophy of public art, in a letter of no more than two pages.
• A detailed visual depiction of what you propose creating with 5 – 10, junior high grade students on the project panels as well as the materials that will be used.
• A narrative of how you would involve students in the project (artist is not responsible for choosing the participating students)
• Digital images or prints of previous relevant work. Please label all images clearly and include medium.
• Resume: resume or CV highlighting experience with Public Art and working with children
• References: Three references from people familiar with your artwork
The City of Fullerton Public Art committee will meet to review all submissions. The Committee will then present the chosen artist along with budget, materials, execution plan and timeline to the Fullerton Museum Center Board of Directors for approval.
Conflicts of Interest
Public Art Committee members will abstain from voting when they are associated with an artist or artwork in consideration for any public art project or if the relationship may compromise the objectivity of the process.
Deadline for Application
Submissions must be received by the Fullerton Museum Center no later than 5 pm on Wednesday, January 5, 2017. All materials should be addressed to:
Fullerton Museum Center
301 N. Pomona Ave.
Fullerton, CA 92832
Further information may be obtained by contacting Aimee Aul