201 E Chapman Ave, Fullerton, CA, 92832
Charles Kassler, 1934
“Pastoral California” (1934) by Charles Kassler is Fullerton’s oldest extant mural. It was commissioned during the Great Depression before the official launch of the Federal Work Projects Administration. Deemed “vulgar” and “inappropriate” by the High School District and Junior College Board of Trustees in 1939, it was painted over and remained covered until 1997 when it was restored by community volunteers. Thanks to the fresco technique employed by Kassler, there was minimum restoration needed and the preservation of the mural is remarkable.
Located on the Fullerton Union High School campus at the Plummer Auditorium.
Date created: 1934
Dimensions: 15' x 75'