DeWain Valentine, 1980
This glass and granite sculpture is located at Newquist Sculpture Court at the Visual Arts Center. It was a gift of Thomas W. Knaup. Diamond Column was the first outdoor sculpture commissioned by the Newquists.
Valentine actually completed the piece three times. The first version had a concrete base that proved unsatisfactory—water leeched from the ground up between the panes. A pane on the second version, which had a black marble base, cracked. The third version, finished with a granite base, is seen here. A sculptor adopting minimalist formal concerns, Valentine often works with glass in simple geometric forms. The rectangular glass in Diamond Column has a green tint like the ocean and the overlapping panes may be seen as a sequence of waves. The base of the sculpture is placed in a reflecting pool underlining the reflective surface of the glass.
DeWain Valentine (1936– ) received a B.F.A. from the University of Colorado, a fellowship to Yale University Yale-Norfolk Art School, and a M.F.A. from the University of Colorado . He has lectured at several major universities, and his art career has produced an extensive list of exhibitions and citations. His works are included in the collections of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, and the University of Colorado, among many others.
800 North State College Boulevard, Fullerton, CA, 92831