Wood Davey, 1981
This eucalyptus and steel sculpture is located in the Newquist Sculpture Court in the Visual Arts Center.
Originally commissioned for the Newquist sculpture collection, this was one of Davey’s first commissions. He created about a dozen eucalyptus and steel works before moving on to the often seemingly gravity-defying stone and steel sculptures that have become the signature works of his oeuvre. Relative to his earlier sculptures, Parma is low to the ground with two pieces of eucalyptus supported by angular metal. In this series Davy uses the steel support structure to create a synthetic structural system that he counterbalances with the organic/irrational qualities of the eucalyptus tree trunk sections. Embracing the ephemeral nature of some of his materials, Davy replaces the organic eucalyptus when it decays.
Woods Davy (1949– ) received his B.F.A. from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and his M.F.A. from the University of Illinois. He is represented in the collections of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Orange County Museum of Art, San Diego Museum of Art, and other public and private collections.
800 North State College Boulevard, Fullerton, CA, 92831