Ray Hein, 1970
Rolled copper sheets and forged bronze sculpture is located at the East entrance of the Visual Arts Center. It was an Art Ailliance commissioned piece. The artist donated his time. Mr. and Mrs. Leon Lyon donated funds for material and Royal Metals of Santa Ana fabricated the metal from the artist’s macquette. When gallery director Dextra Frankel saw a particular piece of Ray Hein’s jewelry she suggested that it would make a wonderful sculpture. This abstract sculpture was commissioned for the wall and reflective pool at the east end of the Visual Arts Center. In 2006, after the construction of the performing arts center on campus, Water Wall was dismantled and reoriented to serve as a link between that building and the Visual Arts Center. This abstract sculpture was commissioned for the wall and reflective pool at the east end of the Visual Arts Center but was moved and reoriented to create a visual bridge between the visual and performing arts complexes in 2006 when Clayes Performing Arts Center was opened. The sculpture includes the movement of water over an undulating metal surface. The sound of water and the play of light on the oxidized surfaces create a contemplative respite.
Ray Hein (1921–2005) earned an M.A. from CSU Long Beach and taught at CSU Fullerton from 1961 to his retirement. He has exhibited both nationally and internationally and received recognition by the American Crafts Council. His gold and silver jewelry is in many private c
800 North State College Boulevard, Fullerton, CA, 92831