Harold L. Pastorius, 1983
Stainless steel sculpture located between the Education Classroom and Humanities-Social Sciences buildings. It was a gift of Patricia Fredericks Dolson.
The curved shape of this sculpture of highly polished stainless steel is positioned so that it catches and reflects sun rays that enhance the surface of the sculpture throughout the day. An artist who was adept at making site-specific public sculpture, Pastorius may have intended a reference to the "enlightenment" gained from education.
Hal Pastorius (1936–1995) had a varied background as a painter, theater-set designer, teacher, and engineer. Starting in 1970, he produced large, outdoor sculpture and maintained an industrial studio in Laguna Beach. He was very active in that city’s art community. Known for his public art, the artist produced twelve sculptures for the City of Brea. His work Heat Exchanger can be seen on the corner of Imperial Highway and Kramer Avenue in Placentia.